Austria

Austria

Friday, November 11, 2011

Time consuming projects

This summer I decided I wanted to finally improve my piano playing.  I found a teacher, a newly baptized member of our church.  We set up a time for the lessons.  And I launched myself into a challenging goal of practicing the piano at least an hour a day.
My first lesson I played very little, instead reviewing and learning theory.  I went away after 3 hours with my head ready to explode.  Each lesson after that there was theory and playing of scales and drills in which I would go home with throbbing and aching hands and forearms.
My hard earned progress has been painfully achingly slow.  I have a few primary songs that I can play almost as fast as the children sing it.
At least 12 hours spent on this project weekly.  When people ask me what I’ve been doing, and I wonder where my time has gone, why some of my projects stay in the still-to-be-done pile, I remember that I’m working on a project that is not visible to anyone that enters our home.
The sad fact is I can’t practice the piano and mop the kitchen floor at the same time.....so lately the kitchen floor has been skipped.

my two piano teachers
 husband and professional musician-teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment