Austria

Austria

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I can choose to eat this or I can get healthier and my clothes will fit me better. I choose to eat.

This title was inspired by a Dr. Laura conversation.
Her female caller wanted to conceive and have a family.  Problem- she and her husband still had no baby.  And she needed to lose 100lbs. and get her type II diabetes under control.
Dr. Laura asked the caller to take her favorite candy bar, the kind that she keeps in her car, her kitchen, her bedroom, in her purse, in her closet.......etc.  and break some bite size pieces off.
Then she had her say very loudly. “I can eat this piece of chocolate or I can choose to get healthy and have a baby.  I choose the chocolate.”  The caller reluctantly ate and said the phrase about 5 times.  Dr. Laura challenged her to say the phrase out loud every single time she is tempted to eat something that isn’t healthy for her.
This call turned my mind back to the plateau I seem to be stuck on.   I lost 26 pounds and reached 146lbs. in April 2011.  Since then I’ve pretty much stayed at around that point,  but mostly 150.  I gain some or lose some but settle back at the 150 mark.  I know that the only way I will get back down to my Weight Watchers goal weight of 136 is if I exercise vigorously 3 times a week.  Do something really active a couple of times a day-to get my heart rate up.  And say NO! to extra portions.  Say NO! to big portions of dessert.  (I will have some kind of dessert every day or will fall off the wagon and be back to 175 in no time)
I’ve tried saying “I can choose to eat this or I can get healthier and my clothes will fit me better.  I choose to eat.”  or “I can choose to eat this or I can get healthier and my clothes will fit me better.  I choose to go for a brisk walk until the craving goes away.”
I am having some success.  I have curbed my night-time, "I’m lonely and missing my husband bingeing".  I have stopped myself several times from giving into an un-necessary snack.  I hope in time it will get easier.  I hope in time I will love exercise once again!!
Till then I’ll keep reminding myself it is a matter of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment