Austria

Austria

Saturday, January 1, 2011

If you Do this- Then you get to do that!

A strategy that I employed successfully while I raised my children. Was the "If Then" principle.
Example:
The house was a mess and I was fed up with the disorder.  So I'd think of something that my children loved and say.  "If you all can give me your very best effort doing the following chores (I'd have a list)
then in 2 hours I'll take you to: _______________________.   But if one of you doesn't give me their very best effort then the deal is off.  This put positive peer pressure on everyone to work as a team. (And if dad didn’t/couldn’t participate in the work, he did not go on the outing with us.)
The "# hours" was important because they knew when the work would finish.  We often set a cooking timer... when it rang we were finished irregardless if the list was completed. Sometimes if I was called away so my cleaning had to stop I’d declare a “time out” and everyones work would stop.
Rewards that really worked for mine:
going to Pizza hut or the fish n chip shop and getting take away and eating it in Valley Gardens....with time to play afterwards.
going swimming
taking them to a show they wanted to see.
walking to the store and each getting a certain amount to spend to purchase a treat.
popping popcorn and watching a DVD together.
Going some where they wanted to go.
We all had  daily and weekly chores so we didn't need to employ this strategy too often but sometimes life happens and clutter catches up with us.

I'm sure you know what your children love. 
What rewards will motivate them to vacuum and scrub and tidy like whirling dervishes.
I didn't go and sit down and do something while they worked.  I worked really hard along side them. cleaning, teaching, praising, complimenting them on being so diligent, efficient, hardworking etc.
Cleaning a house can take all day or a few hours, depending on the vigor the children give to the task.  I did inspect closets and under beds to discourage....certain children from cramming everything that was previously on their floor under their beds :-).
I also employed the If Then principle at the dinner table.  If you eat 10 bites of vegetables (or whatever "dreadful" item they had an aversion to) then
 you get 10 bites of dessert.  If 1 bite then 1 bite, 5 bites then 5 bites etc.
And I use this principle on myself.  Example: If I do this paperwork for 30 minutes then I get to sing at the piano for 30 minutes.



The If Then principle can be found in our scriptures. The Lord uses it to teach principles and set up covenants.
I believe that by employing these strategies I was living the example of our God.. and thus preparing them to make covenants and live the gospel.

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! Great job posting frequently. I enjoy reading your creative thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! When my kids were little, I called what I did simple bribery! ;-)

    ReplyDelete