Austria

Austria

Monday, January 3, 2011

A wink ignored!

I  love leading the singing in church.  My grandmother, Aunts, Cousins and Mother like it too.  Yesterday one of our church leaders asked just before the meeting started if I would lead the singing.  I excitedly thanked him for the opportunity and turned to the correct page in the hymn book. Ack!! it was one with a 6/8 time signature. I stared at it.  Do I lead it with 6 beats, 3 beats or 2?  I wasn’t sure.  2 seemed best but???  Should I walk up to Dean at the organ and ask?
Oh, the professional musician was sitting across the aisle from me!  I asked him.  He wasn’t sure either. 2 or 3?  I picked 2!  And smiled all the way through Ring out, Wild Bells # 215 in Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 
 I got off a little at first, was giving the up beat on the down beat because I was leading a bit too fast but that was easily adjusted. I kept smiling, as I noticed my singing wasn’t very pretty.  Breath, open throat, sing with an inner raised smile.  still not right??  oh, yes it is the book.  I don’t know where the music stand is kept. So just like the usual hymn leader I was standing holding the hymn book with my left hand and leading with my right.  Oh, well nothing I can do about that.
It is an age old problem with me.  When I move my arms about it can affect my singing, if I hold a book or sheet music it can affect my singing too.  But doing both at the same time, really affects the tension in my rib cage, affects breath control, and therefore affects how I sound.  
It wasn’t until I returned to my seat that I remembered that last night while I was packing my Sunday bag;  the thought had come that I ought to put my tiny hymnal in and spend some of the Prelude time going through and marking the 6/8 time hymns with the correct way to lead them... a project I began many years ago when I lead the singing monthly. I ignored the prompting.  If I had listened then I would have been holding 5.6oz instead of 25.4 oz or 1lb. 9.4oz.  (yes, I checked with my electronic Weight Watchers scale.)
Hmmm! interesting that my Father in Heaven would give me a prompting that really only concerned my vanity.  How good one sounds leading the singing isn’t really crucial, it is the smile and competence of keeping the beat that really matters.
I resolve to do better at paying attention to HIS winks, nudges and suggestions.
And will continue to feel thankful for his guiding hand in my life.

1 comment:

  1. It is a wonderful idea to yes, go through your hymnbook and make copious notes in the margins. I note the time signature, underline awkward phrases, make little arrows when we should continue and not take a breath.... not that ANY of this changes how the congregation slowly drags through the hymn, never lifting their eyes from their books... but it makes ME feel just a little bit better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete