Austria

Austria

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Vacations

Our "room with a view" shot from our kitchen.
Bled Slovenia Castle-1000 years old
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be"-Douglas Adams


One of the things I really don't care for is packing and unpacking suitcases.  Unfortunately my life has required a lot of that.  The job got easier when I started keeping packing lists on my computer.  Then each trip I could just adjust numbers of things then print it out and follow it;  instead of having to come up with a list each time and forgetting something. My lists saves a lot of frustration. The system is not full proof because sometimes I get distracted on the way to the item I need.
This week I didn't get my camera cord, and Sasha's folding water bowl into my suitcase.  The cord was on the list, I remember heading to the kitchen to get it....And that is all I remember.


Fortunately for me my husband is really smart.  And his laptop has a card reader.  It doesn't read his card but it reads mine just fine.  So during our fabulous week in Slovenia his computer would read my photo card, then he put the photos into a file and then "shared" that particular file with my computer via the internet, which was possible because our lovely apartment not only had a fantastic view of Bled castle it had wireless internet.


The other forgotten item, turned out to not be overly crucial either, we used our hands, which is drippy and a bit water wasteful but gave Sasha drinks when she wanted them while on our hikes.
(I remembered her regular water and food bowl for the apartment.) 


Last night when we arrived home I completely unpacked my suitcase.  This is a new habit I'm acquiring.  For years I've left my open suitcase in my room and slowly emptied it over a week. Mostly because I liked the daily reminder that I had been somewhere. :-) (Our Vienna bedroom doesn't really have room for such a slow process without a lot of inconvenience.)
This morning I did the tedious job of refilling my travel-sized toiletries containers.  The process usually takes under an hour but it is fiddly. (especially the talcum powder)  So with things put away and my toiletries refilled I'm ready for my next trip which this time is just a few weeks away.

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are so much fun! I cant believe that photo was taken from your room. Good idea on both the packing list and putting your suitcase uo right away (mine usually lingers for a week.)

    ReplyDelete