Austria

Austria

Sunday, May 29, 2011

My collection

I had a teacher in high school that greatly influenced me.  She had a personal style that impressed me.  Not only was she a really effective teacher, personable, engaging, & caring. She introduced me to the idea of color palettes and planning your wardrobe around your best and flattering colors.  She was the sewing/ home education teacher.  She wore scarves and she wore them well.  Later I was trained as a color consultant, a person that learns to recognize which color palette or season matches a person’s skin tones and eyes. And I began to wear scarves cautiously.. they made me feel like I was trying to be someone I was not.  The year I absolutely fell in love with wearing scarves was the year we arrived in England.  We had been scrubbing out our home then traveling up to Nauvoo Illinois in dreadfully hot weather.  So I arrived in the posh town of Harrogate with a suitcase full of t-shirts and wrinkled cotton trousers and long shorts. I felt like I stuck out like a very hick American.  I knew our budget wouldn’t allow me to get a new wardrobe....I had nice clothes coming.  And we needed to  buy all 4 children school uniforms. My solution was to iron all of our tourist clothes and buy some scarves for me.  With crisply ironed clothes, a stylish scarf tied cleverly, make-up and an engaging smile I explored the shops on the Harrogate high street feeling a little less obvious. I also was able to find a skirt for next to nothing in a charity shop to wear with all my t-shirts and a stylish rain coat to wear instead of my American rain poncho.  We spent 2 long months living in hotels till we were able to move into a house and receive the rest of our belongings.  By then I had developed confidence in wearing scarves in a myriad of ways.  And I was hooked.  I also found scarves were really nice to wear in drafty Victorian houses.  
A great variety of textures, lengths, shapes and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment