Austria

Austria

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Love it when inspiration hits me on the head

One of the stipulations to my job this summer was "use past lesson plans to save money".  (They didn't want to pay me for coming up with my own.)  On the Friday before my last week of camp two of my students asked, "what are we doing next week”.   I told them, their response, “boring!”  We went to the lesson plans and they chose two activities they kind of liked.  Both were dependent on warm sunny weather. Then we went to the internet and began looking for supplemental material and found two craft activities that were acceptable: a bookmark with a seahorse on it, and an ocean mobile. 
I felt really grateful that they were perfectly honest,  and a little bit panicked, I wanted the last week of camp to be enjoyable to everyone.  Happy Campers bring good recommendations and return campers for next year.
I went home hoping for the idea fairy to smack me with her magic wand.
And she did!  "What’s cooking?" Is a theme I saw in one of the incredible lesson plan books I glanced through while in England.  I quickly scanned my recipe file for things to make.  Cinnamon rolls, taffy, cookies, brownies, popcorn balls, the list kept growing.  Without much time or effort I had a new lesson plan worked out and written down.
Mornings make something in the kitchen.
Honey Cream Taffy

Pinatas

Afternoons, after the younger children go home, make individual pinatas.

No comments:

Post a Comment