Austria

Austria

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fence sitting


Years ago one of my education teachers had us do a simple survey to determine if we were right or left brain dominate. It was part of the “every teacher needs to teach with variety to get every student’s attention,” section.  The idea =if we practiced assessing ourselves then we could better assess where our students were. The result of mine was almost exactly in the middle, neither right nor left brained.  The professor told me I’d figured the results wrong or not been truthful;  “no one sits in the middle.”
Years later in an attempt to understand how my brain works I checked a book out of the library about hemisphere dominance. Its assessment was much more comprehensive and took longer to complete than the simple one at USU.  My resulting score= in the middle.
But the author explained that some people have such strong left brain dominance in some areas.  And then such strong right brain dominance in other areas....that the resulting score indicates no dominance.  But if one looks closer and notices the categories then you can have a clear picture of how the “mixed” dominance person’s brain works.  Ah I felt vindicated! I knew I had been honest and I thought my math skills weren’t as bad as the professor thought they were. :-)
This week I was again self assessing myself but for a different frame of reference. introvert vs extrovert,  and in an area that seems the same but is not -internal vs external.  Again for a time I thought I might be a fence sitter.  The truth is I have strong internal drive in some areas and a leaning to external drive in other areas.
And the same for introvert vs external.  It is all in the fine tuning of categories.
For a more thorough explanation of what I am talking about consult Unlimited Power by Athony Robbins.
One of the most self-revealing books I’ve ever read.

No comments:

Post a Comment