Austria

Austria

Monday, January 25, 2010

Don't worry be happy!

Several days last week I remembered that I needed to plan and prepare singing time for Primary and each time I said to myself, “I'll go do that later.” After eight Sundays away I was finally home in Moscow and I wanted to make singing time special. Well much to my disgust Saturday night I realized I had still done nothing to prepare. I thought the Spirit whispered to me, “Don't worry, everything is OK.” I thought “No! I really need to have a plan.” So I created a printed sheet with a selection of songs that would support the month's theme and a few activity songs all with the page numbers listed. I also chose a closing exercises song. And I began trying to learn the sign language to the song "I Know That My Savior Loves Me" and to memorize the words to the song. Then I was ready to select some visual aids and do further planning. But I was tired, hungry and sleepy...so I decided to put it off till Sunday morning, though I felt a little disgusted with my lackadaisical approach. And yet I thought I heard the Spirit whisper, “Don't worry, Be Happy.”

Sunday morning dawned and I didn't get to select visual aids after all.
But as I sat in Sacrament meeting I still felt peaceful. I knew my friend in the Primary Presidency had volunteered to continue teaching the new song and that what I had planned would probably be OK.

I hurried into the Primary room and began leading the children in some activity songs while the Presidency prepared to begin and all the children came in. Then sharing time took all the time. No one watched the clock so that it literally filled all the time. No singing time today for the Juniors.

For Senior Primary, sharing time and working on the new song again filled all the time. And no time for the closing song...

And I realized that I had not been justifying laziness during the week. I really had heard correctly. “Don't Worry, everything is OK.”
The Lord knew something I did not, my first Sunday back was going to be one of support and observing and encouraging reverence not actually leading Singing Time. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful! And you do have one of the two best callings in the church (the other one is YW 2nd counselor)!

    Glad you are back home - is everything going okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother wrote: Thanks Shaura. I love your stories of faith and listening to the Spirit. It helps me. Love you, Mark.

    ReplyDelete