Austria

Austria

Friday, April 22, 2011

A Little Help

I am still puttering along in my German study, attending class twice a week and studying in between.
Today on the streetcar riding to class a group of adorable children got on with some adults. 
3 sat on the bench facing me.  And two scrambled up beside me on my bench.
I thought this would be a perfect chance to practice the "Du"* form, and check my homework.  (The following conversation was in German.) I asked the children where they were going?
3 answered, 1.pass my house 2. to a museum 3. on a trip
I asked what Museum.... I should have said "Which" museum.  So they looked at me funny.
I asked a few more questions then began asking them for the correct articles.  I'd say "is it das Bild or die Bild?" ** some of them would answer me. This went on a bit then one of them whispered to their seat mate that I must be dumb.
So I said in English- I speak English very well, then switched back into German; but I must learn German.
The child that had wondered if I was dumb..looked excited and said "oh, you don't speak German" I answered "only a little bit".
Another said, pointing to the child squeezed against me, "She speaks English”... then chattered too fast for me to catch.
The child next to me, interrupted, by pointing out the window and telling me we were passing the street where her house was.
I then explained I was on my way to class and I needed their help....of course I should have said that at first....I wasn't really thinking.
So once they understood I was asking for help.  They excitedly gave it to me.  It was fun to watch their minds work.  Some of them didn't know if it was der, die or das.  They had to say the word out loud and think about it before they were sure the answer was right. Others instantly knew the answer.  Surprisingly the children sitting next to me were the most reluctant to help me
(German has masculine, feminine and neuter nouns... the definite and indefinite articles are different according to the noun.)
I hadn't check the dictionary, but had hurriedly filled out the worksheet...so now I was asking if I was right. :-)
We finished that worksheet.  So I turned the page to homework that I had not been assigned yet.  There were pictures of household items...  so I began pointing to the items and they would tell me what they were and what the correct article was and how to pronounce it correctly.  They became very boisterous and were thoroughly delighting me in their enthusiasm when I looked up and saw we were nearing my stop.
I thanked them profusely for their help, wished them a wonderful Easter weekend and said goodbye.
They all cheerfully shouted "schuss".. a friendly form of goodbye as I exited the tram.
And I laughed all the way to class.
*1.Du form is used for addressing pets, close family, friends and children.  A child speaking to me would use the formal form Sie-for you. (unless I was a family member) But I am supposed to use the Du-you form when speaking to them.
Unfortunately you can't just replace Du with Sie you must also conjugate verbs differently.  Kind of like run versus ran....but they both mean the same thing.   So I must say "Wohin fahren Sie?"  or "Wohin farst du?" depending who I am talking to. Both mean "where are you going?"  The word "fahren" means traveling via a car or bus.  The Du form requires the "st" ending on the verb.
** example:
"The" noun, "A" noun in accusative case,"no" noun
das Auto ein Auto   kein Auto
der Nissan  einen Nissan  keinen Nissan
die woman eine woman  keine Woman
das child    ein Child kein Child
der dog  einen dog  keinen dog
die female friend    eine famale friend keine f. friend
der masculine friend.  einen masculine friend keinen m. friend.

1 comment:

  1. My China daughter suggested I post this to my blog- Apologies to those of you who have already received this as an email.

    ReplyDelete