Austria

Austria

Friday, November 19, 2010

Coffee Any one?

This morning about 10 my doorbell rang.  It was my lovely neighbor ready to give me a ride to a morning coffee in which my German teacher was giving a presentation about Austria Advent traditions. I had completely forgot that was today, oops! I Was dressed in work clothes, not ready to leave the house.  She left without me.  In approximately 8 minutes I walked out the door, dressed in a skirt, blouse and sweater, with tights and jewelry on!  Yes! score one for me the quick change girl.  I hurried to the public garage where we are allowed to park our car.  Put the year pass card we were given and bing, my card wouldn’t allow me in.
After 10 more tries of putting the card up to the reader I finally got someone to respond to the “call an attendant” button.  I was so glad my German brain engaged and I remembered how to say that my card wasn’t working.  the voice unlocked the door and I was finally running towards my parked car.  So glad I wasn’t wearing high heels, but my medium heeled boots.  Jumped in the car and headed to the exit gate.  Again epic failure the gate refused to lift and let me out.  No matter how many ways I put my card into the slot, or pressed my card against the pad nothing worked.  The sign said to call a number if there were problems.  Of course my cell phone doesn’t work in a underground parking garage!!!*** My frantic pushing of the red button got a recording.  Finally a voice came on.... in my I explained who had issued my card and that I really needed to get my car out of the garage....I was late for an appointment.
Sorry you cannot exit the garage. humffff!
I backed the car away from the gate.  Oh Joy a car was coming towards me.  Could I persuade them to let me follow them out or would the gate come down and smash the car?
Oops the slow moving car parked.  I watched in the rear view mirror as a little stooped old man slowly got out of the car.  Would he help me?  I walked back to him.  After some broken German and his very fast Austrian he finally nodded.  Slowly very slowly with the help of a cane the man carried his parcels and walked to the gate.  With me in the car he used his card to open the gate.  Joy! I was free! but it was now almost 10:30.
With the help of the GPS I drove directly to the house; no parking anywhere because the home was across from a university.   Finally I managed to park, fill out a parking card to leave on the dashboard, and headed back to the lovely home.  The gate was open, yes! and the Door left a jar!!  I silently followed the sound of my teachers voice to find the room where the presentation was being held.
Gabby was in the middle of explaining about masks worn to chase bad spirits away.
Fortunately as I left the apartment I had remembered to grab my Sunday journal out of my church bag.  I happily took notes of her presentation.
But where was my friend?  I look about me in the large pretty room.  No neighbor!
After the presentation I spoke to several interesting woman.  And enjoyed a few things from the “coffee” buffet.  The tuna salad was divine and the apple strudel ok. What a nice event.  Then I realized I was in the home where I get to sing on the 9th of December at a Christmas party one of the directors of the American Embassy is holding in his home.  Now I knew how to get here and how much time to schedule. :-)
After thanking my teacher for her presentation and thanking the women who had acted as hostesses I left for my car.
Well that had been successful!  Should I be more bold and drive to the nearest DIY store.  Sure!  And I did!  But I didn’t find five dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment