Austria

Austria

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Talk given by Elder Kevin W. Pearson of the First Quorum of the Seventy

Elder Kevin W. Pearson of the First Quorum of the Seventy
Gave a farewell address to Moscow Branch 15 November 2009

Elder Pearson’s talk impressed me deeply. I felt the Lord’s spirit testify what he was saying is true. More specifically I felt the talks he and his wife gave were for me. Direct messages that I needed to hear. Because of this I took notes. I thought about what they said all day and the next morning I began trying to type them up into a readable format. Two friends came to visit me and I asked them to help me add their thoughts on the talks.

As many of you know Melece and I were medical evacuated from Moscow just 12 days later. I believe that this is another evidence of a “Tender Mercy”. I was given a refresher course on effective prayers just as I needed it most.

I have been given permission by him to post the notes I took of his talk on my blog. Please realize that if there are errors they are not his. - Shaura

Adam and Eve were cast out of the garden because of agency. At that time prayer accompanied sacrifice to the Lord. Prayer and burnt offerings inseparably connected to each other. Then Christ taught the new way to pray. Now prayers were to Father in Christ’s name. We teach (show and demonstrate and make sure they know) how to pray.

When I was a mission president I was seldom home and several nights I observed my sons pouring their hearts out to God. I knew they were struggling and I could see them actually tremble as they prayed. I then would go to my knees to beg for help for my sons. I learned the pattern for prayer from the bible dictionary. Mind of Christ means to be obedient and submissive to have our minds and hearts united with the purpose of God. We will be prompted what to pray for.
In the LDS version of the Kings James Version of the Bible we read in the dictionary on page 752.
As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7: 7-11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings.
There are many passages in the N.T. that teach the duty of prayer (e.g., Matt. 7: 7; Matt. 26: 41; Luke 18: 1; Luke 21: 36; Eph. 6: 18; Philip. 4: 6; Col. 4: 2; 1 Thes. 5: 17, 25; 1 Tim. 2: 1, 8). Christians are taught to pray in Christ’s name (John 14: 13-14; John 15: 7, 16; John 16: 23-24). We pray in Christ’s name when our mind is the mind of Christ, and our wishes the wishes of Christ - when his words abide in us (John 15: 7). We then ask for things it is possible for God to grant. Many prayers remain unanswered because they are not in Christ’s name at all; they in no way represent his mind, but spring out of the selfishness of man’s heart.
Book of Mormon references on prayer include 1 Ne. 18: 3; Alma 34: 17-28; Ether 2: 14.
• John 14: 13-14
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Remember who you are talking to. God knows all things, he does not need to be updated. A missionary was praying and reciting all the needs of his investigators, making specific requests. I said “Who are you talking to?” God doesn’t need to be updated; to be told what’s happening in our lives or the lives of our friends and family. Consider when you pray what and how to pray. Take 2 or 3 minutes considering who you are addressing. Mindlessly we speak to God as though he is an online shopping facility. A correct prayer will have deep unending gratitude. Ponder “what can I do? “What has he asked me to do?” Pray for the ability to grow and move forward. Instead of praying for our family with a long list of requests we can ask, “What should/can I do to help them?” “What can I do to love them more effectively?”
During those tired prayers in the morning and the evening we make our lists, Take time to think.
#1. Remember when you are pressing hard for a blessing for family that these are HIS children, no need to update Him He loves them. Ask “how can I understand Thy children?”

#2. The Lord draws us towards humility and feeling passionate for all His children. Change the way we pray. And our hearts will be full of love for all men.

I have been ordained to witness of Jesus Christ & the Father. I have learned by the Holy Ghost. I know they exist.
We can fulfill our individual missions by choosing His mind and will.
I testify of the great compassion he has.
The Holy Ghost can be our constant companion.
I know Joseph Smith was a prophet and Thomas S. Monson is a full Prophet in every sense of the word.





1 comment: