Austria

Austria

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Radio Choir of the Year Contest

A recent conversation regarding "signs following believers". and my belief that they are usually a result of faith exercised, reminded me of a “Sunday” experience I had while I was a member of the White Rosettes Chorus.

We/they compete in the Radio 3 choir of the year contest. This contest is a national UK contest and has 4 rounds. Sometimes one of the rounds would be on a Sunday and I would stay home and not go. One year during my service as Chair/president of the chorus an important round was to be held in Manchester on a Sunday. I did not sign up to go. But that year because of some dropouts and sickness and people who had to work. The lead section, (the section of sopranos that mostly sing the leading melody line. Not the bass, baritone, or tenor sections ) didn’t have many people going. Our musical director requested that I make an exception and please go and support the chorus. I belabored the decision mightily. I would miss church, because of the early time we had to depart, I would be gone the entire day, and return very late. There was a good chance if more leads did not commit to going we would lose the round because the chorus would be out of balance. I would be skipping out on my official duties as Chair of the chorus, therefore not serving the chorus in the way I had promised. I finally agreed to go and sing with the group of people I love.

When we arrived we were greeted by famous radio and TV personalities, there was a lively excitement in the chorus. On the way to our rehearsal/dressing room people I knew told me to make sure and buy a program. I had brought meals with me and was not planning on buying anything on the Sabbath.

Chorus members who had arrived by car asked me if I had seen the program with excitement in their eyes.

Finally in curiosity, I asked to see a program. There in full color was a large photo of me on the page about our category. (We were competing in the Adult category, as opposed to the children, or high school chorus category.) And just of me, no other member of our chorus was featured in the program. When I looked at the photo I felt the confirming spirit tell me that my decision to support my chorus on a Sunday was acceptable.

I saw it as a sign from God to one of his believers. The professional photographers covering the contest take hundreds of photos…and the odds of a photo taken of me from another round on another year being selected to be put in that year’s program was phenomenal.

I have the photo in a frame above my sewing machine along with the photo that was taken that night when we won the round and I, as chair of the chorus, and Sally, the musical director stood on stage and received the certificate award on behalf of the chorus. It was an exciting day and I rejoiced that I was part of it.

1 comment:

  1. How cool! It is difficult at times to choose between family, church, community and volunteer responsibilities - and I believe firmly that the isn't one single, constant answer. But that's what divine inspiration is all about, right?

    ReplyDelete