Austria

Austria

Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Sewing room


One of the deals I made with my cute guy when we were making preparations for moving to Moscow was that I would be allowed to bring as much of my fabric stash as I wanted. And he would not moan about what that did to our weight allowance. And that I would be given a room or area to sew in and he would be fully supportive of that. He has kept completely to our bargain. And when on a few occasions I have moved a sewing project onto the dining room table and taken over that room with a big quilt project. He has never complained or commented on the mess. How fortunate I am. I asked him to make the deal because I know I can be happy anywhere if I can de-stress myself by sewing. Sewing gives me “object Permanence” which I need for good mental health.

Let me explain what “Object Permanence” is and why it is important to me.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Object permanence is the understanding that objects continue to exist even when they cannot be seen, heard, or touched. Jean Piaget argued that object permanence is one of an infant's most important accomplishments, as without this concept, objects would have no separate, permanent existence. In Piaget's Theory of cognitive development infants develop this understanding by the end of the "sensorimotor stage", which lasts from birth to about 2 years of age.[1] Piaget thought that an infant's perception and understanding of the world depended on their motor development, which was required for the infant to link visual, tactile and motor representations of objects. According to this view, it is through touching and handling objects that infants develop object permanence.[2]
I think mother's need another type of Object permanence. Objects that continue to exist even when they cannot be seen, heard, or touched. So many of the things a mother fills her time with gets undone immediately. Like picking up the toy off the floor that your under 2 year old has just thrown off the high chair tray because he is trying to development his Object Permanence. :-)

Another example, I may spend 3 hours fixing a delicious meal and setting a beautiful table. Unless my living-in-china-daughter is home or we have guests; no one will make a positive comment about the food or the setting. In usually less than 30 minutes the evidence of that 3 hours of effort is gone except for dirty dishes that have to be washed and put away. No object permanence. Except the knowledge that I have fed my family well. But if in contrast I spend 3 hours patching beautiful cloth together, or altering some clothing no one "un-does" my work. It becomes Object permanence.

Sewing brings me joy because not only does it create Object permanence but it is a creative problem solving endeavor that tests my patience and builds character.


Recently I began mentally preparing for the upcoming pack out. And thinking about my future sewing room in my next house. And to remember the happy hours I've spent in my little 6X6 foot space I took some photos and practiced my budding skill of creating panoramic photos.

2 comments:

  1. you can made a dress maker's dummy with some little duct tape, pipe, a t-shirt, stuffing and a friend to duct tape you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.leanna.com/DuctTapeDouble/

    ReplyDelete