Austria

Austria

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Why I am still the Sunbeam teacher.

Teach the Children

Last week I again put my back/pelvis out after lifting Sunbeams (the 4 year old children kind). There have been many Sundays after church that I have been intensely tempted to give my resignation wishes to Branch President Meservy.

This class is the 2nd hardest Primary class I have ever tried to teach; tried to teach is the operative word there. Yet I have not…

Because:

I believe the calling came from the Lord.

I have never turned down a request to serve when issued by my leaders.

I am a University trained teacher of children.

I love children.

Christ wants me to become as a little child.

I have an abundance of love and no grandchildren to spoil.

If not me, then one of the tired young mothers who spend all their days with children might be asked to fill my place. My service gives them a break.

I have years of experience and patience….greatly needed with this class.

I have a mature testimony of Christ’s gospel.

I can make a difference in the life of a child.

True discipleship requires sacrifice.

It is good to have a calling that requires our very best creativity and skills.

My friendship skills make missing Relief Society meetings each Sunday a non-issue.

I have a mature understanding of the scriptures. Missing Gospel Doctrine class each week, though disappointing is not spiritually weakening.

My Aunt Ethel Mae, who I admire greatly, taught the 7 year olds in Primary for more than 14 years in a row.

Milla now asks her mom almost daily, “is it church day today?” because she loves me and knows I love her she likes to come to church.

My backache reminds me to do my Physical therapy more frequently.

I have acquired an Ipod dock and now know how to load church music and talks onto my Ipod….for use in the classroom…something I have procrastinated learning and purchasing when it was just for me.

Sunbeam teacher and Enrichment group leader are perfect callings for our family while Dean serves as the Branch President.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your back! Sunbeams teacher was my all time favorite church calling. Those kids are hilarious (albeit a hand full!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Merservy, this is Bishop Dunn trying to reach you and your husband in Moscow. Can you please email me back and confirm this note has reached you? I can be reached at tdprivate@hotmail.com.
    Thanks,
    Bihop Dunn

    ReplyDelete